Thursday 7 April 2011

Get a load of those eggs



Just a quickie, mainly to put up that picture of the most beautiful eggs I have ever seen, found on a Sunday walk in the Chilterns with Becca and her parents, just left at a farm gate with an honesty jar.  Half a dozen eggs, all different shades including colours I’ve never seen hen’s eggs come in.  There is, after all, a reason why the colour’s called duck egg blue, or the walls of our kitchen are painted “Starling’s Egg”, but we had both of those, and a pale pastel green that I don’t think I’ve ever seen any egg come in.  It was like Greek Easter come early (except one colour we didn’t have – perhaps fortunately, was deep red…).


And tasty too, as only truly farm fresh eggs can ever be.  The first I had I poached, as poaching is the way of cooking eggs most dependent for its success on their freshness.  And I wasn’t disappointed, although, aesthetically, it may not have been quite as perfect as the poached egg I previously posted.  Nevertheless, served on toast, with a few slices of a big open cap mushroom, fried up with slivers of garlic and parsley it was pretty sublime.



Then I used four to make a tortilla, a proper Spanish tortilla, or PST, as described, but not pictured, here.  Four eggs, two medium sized Maris Pipers and half a large onion came to just the right amount to fill my 20cm pan to make a tortilla which, in turn, was just the right size to have half, warm, for lunch the day I made it, and the second half cold for breakfast the next day.  I do love tortilla for breakfast - the only downside being that it’s just another thing making you wish you lived in Spain


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I just found your blog and think it's great - and certainly, it has made me feel very hungry. I ate the loveliest golden scrambled eggs this morning, so definitely share your interest in cooking eggs!!

    I write a blog too - drop by if you get a mo.

    http://feelingfoodblog.blogspot.com

    Sinead

    ReplyDelete